ISTQB CTFL, or ISTQB Foundation Level, is the initial stage of ISTQB software testing certification. It is a mandatory requirement for all other ISTQB certifications, implying that candidates must have cleared the ISTQB Foundation Level examination before attempting any other ISTQB certification examination.
ISTQB CTFL is valuable for software testers because it establishes a base knowledge of software testing vocabulary and principles. ISTQB CTFL benefits software testers by giving them a fundamental understanding of software testing terminology and concepts. It is also advantageous for companies as it facilitates better communication and productivity among and within their testing teams, whether they are internal or external.
In this article, we will provide an overview of the ISTQB certification scheme, the CTFL certification, the CTFL exam format, the target audience for the CTFL certification, and the business outcomes expected from a CTFL-certified professional.
What is the importance of ISTQB certification?
The International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB) is a non-profit organization that offers a globally recognized certification for software testing professionals. The ISTQB certification validates the knowledge and skills of individuals in various aspects of software testing, such as testing principles, techniques, and tools.
The ISTQB certification helps professionals to enhance their career opportunities and deliver high-quality software products. Individuals who wish to obtain the ISTQB certification must pass a standardized exam that covers a wide range of topics in the software testing field.
What is the Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) certification?
The Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) certification is the entry-level qualification offered by the International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB®). The CTFL certification provides a solid foundation of software testing knowledge that can be applied in various contexts and situations.
The syllabus covers the common terminology and concepts used in the testing domain globally, and it is relevant for all software delivery methods and practices, such as Waterfall, Agile, DevOps, and Continuous Delivery. The CTFL certification is a prerequisite for all other ISTQB® certifications that require Foundation Level knowledge.
The ISTQB CTFL certification is ideal for individuals who want to start their software testing career or gain a basic understanding of the field. To obtain the CTFL certification, individuals must pass a standardized exam that covers a wide range of topics in software testing.
What is the ISTQB CTFL exam format?
The ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) v4.0 certification exam consists of 40 multiple-choice questions, each worth one point. You must score at least 26 points out of 40 to pass the exam. You will have 60 minutes to complete the ISTQB CTFL exam, so manage your time wisely.
Who can take the Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) certification exam?
The Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) 4.0 certification is essential for anyone who wants to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts of software testing. The certification is applicable for individuals in various roles related to software testing, such as:
- test analysts
- test engineers
- test consultants
- test managers
- user acceptance testers
- software developers
Moreover, the certification benefits those who need a basic understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors, and management consultants. To achieve the CTFL 4.0 certification, individuals must pass a standardized exam that covers a broad range of topics in software testing.
The International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB®) Certified Tester Program offers a comprehensive and structured learning path for testing professionals at different levels of their careers. The program provides the opportunity to pursue higher-level software testing qualifications, such as the Core Advanced Levels, Specialist, and Expert Level certifications, that cover a wide range of topics and skills in software testing.
What are the business outcomes?
- The new Foundation Level certification enables candidates to achieve the following business outcomes:
- Comprehend the purpose and benefits of testing
- Grasp the fundamental concepts of software testing
- Select the appropriate test approach and activities for the testing context
- Evaluate and improve the quality of documentation
- Enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of testing
- Align the test process with the software development lifecycle
- Apply test management principles
- Write and communicate clear and understandable defect reports
- Understand the factors that influence the priorities and efforts related to testing
- Collaborate as part of a cross-functional team
- Know the risks and benefits related to test automation
- Identify essential skills required for testing
- Understand the impact of risk on testing
- Report on test progress and quality effectively
Fundamentals of testing
- What is testing?
- Why is testing necessary?
- Testing principles
- Test activities, testware, and test roles
- Essential skills and good practices in testing
Testing throughout the software development lifecycle
- Testing in the context of a software development lifecycle
- Test levels and test types
- Maintenance testing
- Static testing basics
- Feedback and review process
Test analysis and design
- Test techniques overview
- Black-box test techniques
- White-box test techniques
- Experience-based test techniques
- Collaboration-based test approaches
Managing the test activities
- Test planning
- Risk management
- Test monitoring, test control, and test completion
- Configuration management
- Defect management
- Tool support for testing
- Benefits and risks of test automation
What are the benefits of earning the ISTQB CTFL certification?
- Demonstrates your competence and skills in Software Development and/or Testing
- Enhances your visibility and value within your organization
- Adopts the best practices in software development and/or testing and increases the success rate of your projects
- CTFL Certified testers earn 20% more salary than testers who do not have CTFL certification
The bottom line
The ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) is a widely recognized credential in software testing. It is a professional certification program that requires candidates to pass a rigorous exam. The CTFL certification validates the basic knowledge and skills of software testing professionals.
If you want to take the ISTQB CTFL certification exam and are looking for a reliable proxy exam center, contact CBT Proxy. CBT Proxy has been a trusted provider of IT certification exams for over 10 years. To learn more about the ISTQB CTFL certification exam, click the chat button below, and one of our consultants will contact you shortly.