What is a salesforce developer?
A Salesforce developer creates and modifies solutions on the Salesforce platform to suit the needs of different businesses. A salesforce developer keeps the client’s requirements in mind, figures out other ways to improve things, and writes technical documents.
Most of the time, salesforce developers use languages like Apex and Visualforce to build and customize apps, integrations, and workflows.
They also test and debug their code to ensure it works well and meets high-quality standards. Salesforce developers work with other team members to deliver great solutions that make business processes more efficient.
What does it take to be a salesforce developer?
Salesforce developers are part of a vibrant community that constantly challenges and innovates the platform. This lively environment allows them to create custom solutions that directly impact a company's performance and growth, making their work both demanding and fulfilling.
Salesforce developers can work in various sectors, such as healthcare, finance, and non-profit organizations. As the platform changes and new features are added, they can keep learning and advancing in their careers.
This also helps them to establish strong relationships with clients by understanding their business needs on a detailed level, further increasing their job satisfaction.
As a salesforce developer, you will enjoy a couple of benefits such as:
- Job security and high demand
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- Flexibility in working remotely or in different industries
- Flexible working hours and work-life balance
What does a salesforce developer do?
A Salesforce developer creates systems and custom applications tailored to an organization's needs. To ensure that the applications are delivered successfully, they work with various experts within the company.
Besides troubleshooting and fixing issues, a Salesforce developer will maintain the application regularly. In addition, a salesforce developer provides technical guidance and written instructions to company staff on using the applications.
As a Salesforce Developer, you will be responsible for:
- Handle critical incident tickets, debug and resolve the issue.
- Build and implement tools like Ant/Maven to automate and improve the operational environment.
- Configure and manage the SFDC security, including data security and sharing and security features.
- Lead operations, deploy applications, address production application issues, and enhance operational processes on Linux machines.
- Create VisualForce pages with XML, HTML and custom controllers and controller extensions.
- Perform SOSL query search for all objects, including custom objects.
- Deploy from sandbox to sandbox and sandbox to production using Eclipse IDE.
- Parse the response from the web services using JSON and XML objects.
- Design and implement multiple apex classes to manipulate existing org data using SOQL while avoiding governor limits.
- Develop digital signature and SSL certify HTTP message flows.
- Use scrum methodology for iterative development of the project.
- Design OAuth framework for authorization flow for web services.
- Work on mostly UNIX and LINUX-based operating systems.
Important skills for a Salesforce Developer
Analytical skills: A salesforce developer needs strong analytical skills to understand what the users want and how to create software that meets their expectations. Analytical skills help a salesforce developer to break down complex problems, find solutions, and evaluate the outcomes.
Communication skills: Communication skills are vital for a salesforce developer to perform their duties effectively. A salesforce developer must communicate clearly with other project stakeholders, such as clients, managers, and colleagues.
Creativity: A salesforce developer also has to be creative to design new computer software that is innovative and user-friendly. Creativity in work allows a salesforce developer to think outside the box, explore different possibilities, and generate original solutions.
Detail oriented: Being detail-oriented is another important skill for a salesforce developer. A salesforce developer has to pay attention to every aspect of an application or system they are working on and ensure that everything is accurate and consistent.
Problem-solving skills: Problem-solving skills are essential for a salesforce developer to deal with any challenges during the software development process. A salesforce developer must identify the root cause of a problem, find the best way to fix it and implement the solution.
Interpersonal skills: Interpersonal skills are also crucial for a salesforce developer to work well with others. A salesforce developer must interact with people who contribute to designing, developing, and programming successful software.
What are the career opportunities for salesforce developers?
It’s no secret that Salesforce is big and diverse. With the Salesforce platform, candidates can have a lot of work opportunities. Here are the job roles that you can take as a Salesforce Developer:
- Integration Developer: $102,429
- Sales Development: $89,435
- Salesforce Developer: $98,375
- Lead Developer: $116,340
- Senior Software Engineer: $114,494
What is the average salary of a salesforce developer?
In the US, a salesforce developer can expect to earn an average of $98,375 annually. However, the typical salary range for salesforce developers is from $75,000 to $127,000 annually. If we calculate the average hourly wage for salesforce developers, it comes out to be $47.3 per hour.
How to become a salesforce developer?
A Salesforce developer adapts Salesforce's products and services or creates new apps for a specific company. Salesforce developers are skilled in using these applications and can code and customize Salesforce.
Apart from that, they can develop new apps based on Salesforce that can work with other systems or serve as the main system for a company's diverse needs. This requires a lot of coding and bug-fixing knowledge —and, of course— meeting with clients to understand their needs.
If you want to become a salesforce developer, here are some of the common requirements that you should meet:
- A bachelor's degree in a related field, such as computer science or electrical engineering, is usually expected by most employers.
- You should have 2-4 years of experience in related fields, such as software development, web development, or database management.
- Before becoming a salesforce developer, some common job titles were Java developer, salesforce administrator, and Java/j2ee developer.
- You should also have soft skills such as analytical, communication, and creativity, as these are essential for designing and developing custom solutions on the Salesforce platform.
- You must undergo an average of 3-6 months of job training to become a salesforce developer.
- You can boost your income and career prospects by getting a Salesforce developer certification, such as the Salesforce Certified Platform Developer II.
What are the best salesforce developer certifications?
Salesforce Certified Platform Developer II
The Salesforce Platform Developer II certification program is for individuals who want to show their skills and knowledge in advanced programming features of the Lightning Platform and data modeling to create complex business logic and interfaces.
Candidates can design, develop, test, and deploy programming solutions that are easy to maintain, reuse, and follow design patterns and object-oriented programming best practices. To earn the Salesforce Platform Developer II certification, candidates must have the Salesforce Platform Developer I certification.
Salesforce Certified Platform Developer I
The Salesforce Platform Developer I certification is for individuals who can build custom applications on the Lightning Platform.
The Salesforce Platform Developer I credential covers the basic programming skills of the Lightning Platform to create custom business logic and interfaces to extend Salesforce using Apex, Visualforce, and simple Lightning Components. Candidates must pass the Salesforce Platform Developer I exam to earn the Salesforce Platform Developer I certification.
Salesforce Certified Administrator (SCA)
The Salesforce Certified Administrator (SCA) certification program is one of the well-known and well-paid certifications. The Salesforce Certified Administrator certification is for those who have worked as a Salesforce Administrator.
To earn the Salesforce Certified Administrator (SCA) certification, candidates should have a wide knowledge of Salesforce applications, regularly set up and manage Salesforce, and constantly seek ways their companies can benefit from more features and capabilities.
Salesforce Certified Sales Cloud Consultant
Cloud is an emerging technology, and every small to large-scale enterprise has adopted it. The Sales Cloud Consultant certification is designed for consultants who have implemented Salesforce Sales Cloud solutions in a role that involves interacting with customers.
The Sales Cloud Consultant certification exam focuses on Salesforce’s most popular product, exploring all the features that comprise the Sales Cloud.
Salesforce Certified Service Cloud Consultant
The Salesforce Certified Service Cloud Consultant program is for consultants with experience implementing Salesforce Service Cloud solutions in a role that involves dealing with customers. The target audience for this exam has demonstrated experience with the administration and configuration of a Salesforce application, as shown by passing the Salesforce Certified Administrator exam.
The Salesforce Certified Service Cloud Consultant can design and implement Service Cloud solutions that satisfy customer business requirements, are easy to maintain and scale, and support long-term customer success.
Salesforce Certified Platform App Builder
The Salesforce Platform App Builder certification is for Salesforce professionals who want to show their skills in building custom applications on the Salesforce platform. The Salesforce Certified Platform App Builder certification exam focuses on using tools such as Custom Objects & Fields, Process Builder, Approval Processes, and all other declarative features.
The final say
As a Salesforce developer, you can create amazing apps and solutions with a powerful and versatile platform. You can leverage the low-code features of Salesforce to build faster and easier or use the high-code tools to customize and extend your functionality.
If you want to earn the salesforce developer certification, CBT Proxy can help you pass the exam on your first attempt. To learn more about the salesforce developer certifications, click the chat button below, and one of our guides will contact you shortly.