CompTIA Security+ is the first global security certification that validates the service line skills you will need to perform key security functions and pursue a career in IT security. So, it is quite a helpful and important certification that IT professionals must earn.
CompTIA Security+ is a vendor-neutral and international certification that demonstrates its core competencies in:
- Operational and Compliance security
- Network security
- Vulnerabilities and Threats
- Identity management and Access control
- Data, Application, and host security
To earn a CompTIA Security+ certification approves, you can apply knowledge of security tools, concepts, and procedures to respond against security incidents. Still, you are also able to predict security risks and give protection against them.
Why is it different?
- It is the only certification that assesses service line cybersecurity skills and has performance-based scenario questions on the exam. CompTIA Security+ emphasizes making sure the security professional has hands-on practical skills that are far better to solve a large variety of issues.
- Security+ focuses on the techniques and latest trends in risk management threat management, risk mitigation, and intrusion detection.
- More individuals choose CompTIA Security+ for DoD 8570 compliance rather than any other credential.
- The CompTIA Security+ certification covers the Penetration Tester/ Junior IT Auditor job role, in addition to the previous job roles for Network Administrator, Systems Administrator, and Security Administrator.
Jobs That Utilize CompTIA Security+ Certification
- Systems Administrator
- Junior IT Auditor/ Penetration Tester
- Network Administrator
- Security Specialist
- Security Consultant
- Security Administrator
- Security Engineer
CompTIA establishes the basic knowledge required for any IT cybersecurity job and provides a dashboard to medium level cybersecurity jobs. These qualified credential candidates will have the following skills:
- Configure and Install wireless security settings and deploy public key infrastructure.
- Install, configure, and deploy network components while troubleshooting and assessing issues to support organizational security.
- Detect various types of compromise and understand and vulnerability scanning and penetration testing concepts.
- Implement secure network architecture systems, concepts, and design
- Install and configure identity and management controls, as well as access services.
- The CompTIA Security+ exam focuses on today’s best practices for risk management and risk mitigation, including emphasizing the practical and hands-on ability to identify and address security threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities.
- Summarize and implement risk management best practices and their impact on business.
After qualifying the certification
The CompTIA certification is valid for up to three years. If you fail to maintain it, you will need to give take up the exam again. There are a number of ways to maintain your certification through that CompTIA program of continuing education, which lets you earn the CEUs (Continuing Education Units) to keep your credential active.
You can also earn them by taking the latest version of the exam. You may also participate in industry seminars and events or achieve a higher-level credential, like CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP+) or CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst (CySA+).